Hunters Down in Huntingdon, Cambridge chose to enter the National Activity Providers Association (NAPA)’s Fine Dining Experience Challenge.
The aim was to create an amazing Fine Dining Experience that was unique and memorable for those that attend along with a range of supporting meaningful engagements that might appeal to a broader group of residents.
The finale of the event was to be for a maximum of 10 people, with the guest list including 2 people from the local community who have not been previously involved with the care home.
The challenge had six separate elements;
• Grow your own for the fine dining (using items that were grown by Hunters Down)
• Setting the scene (themes and decorations etc.)
• The Chef’s Masterpiece (consulting with the residents and technical elements of the meal)
• Community Connections (inviting 2 guests from the local community with no connections to Hunters Down)
• The Whole Home Approach (to involve as many staff, volunteers etc. to make the day happen)
• The Fine Dining Experience (consultation, planning, on the day, who was involved etc.)
The residents of Hunters Down therefore chose The Inside Garden Party as the theme, whilst inviting Dame Norma Major and the Mayor’s father as guests from the local community.
Queens Unit in Hunters Down, was used for the event and looked spectacular with the decorations, flowers and plants. The table was covered with a grass runner with flowers made by the residents on it, coupled with flower patterned teddy bears enjoying a teddy bear picnic. Additional paper flowers; made by visitors on National Care Home Open Day; were added to the decorations.
The residents took part in the theme wearing flowered clothing, whilst enjoying being pampered in the morning by having their hair and nails done. A town councillor, the Home Manager, Team Leader, local businesses’ staff and a former resident’s family volunteered as waiters, serving the delicious food prepared by Hunters Down’s Chefs and two care workers. A former resident’s family took all the photos of the event.
Everybody had a wonderful time enjoying the ambience of the room with all the smells, colours and music.